ManyPets Pet Insurance Review for 2021
Pet health care coverage for Illinois residents
- Pet insurance policies with monthly premiums starting at $20 for dogs and $15 for cats
- Customize your level of coverage while enjoying no annual limits
- An optional wellness plan can be added to your policy at a discounted price
Founded in 2012, under the name Bought by Many, the company began with a mission to remove the hassle of insurance. In 2021, the desire for a pet insurance product from its customers led the company to launch ManyPets in the UK. Since then, ManyPets has expanded to Sweden and the United States, adding over 300,000 new customers along the way.
While currently only available to residents in Illinois, the company has publicly stated its plan to expand to other states within the year.
This review of ManyPets pet insurance and wellness includes what’s covered, pros and cons, eligibility requirements, a video of the application process, and more. Click an option in the list below to jump to that section or check out the full review!
In this review:
What does ManyPets offer?
ManyPets offers customizable pet insurance with an optional wellness plan for both dogs and cats. The details below can help you better understand how each product works so that you can get the coverage you need.
ManyPets pet insurance
No caps on payouts, copays, or care
- Up to 90% back on covered veterinary care
- Choose a deductible of $250, $500, or $750
- Visit any licensed veterinarian
ManyPets pet insurance is a comprehensive policy that covers treatment and healthcare costs for accidents and illnesses. This is the most complete form of coverage available to pets.
Policy terms are an important part of any insurance product. These terms are often customizable and allow you to adjust both the cost and level of protection you’ll receive from your policy. Here are the terms of a ManyPets pet insurance policy:
- Monthly premium: Varies by individual and pet, but start at $20 for dogs and $15 for cats.
- Deductible: Your choice of $250, $500, or $750
- Reimbursement: Your choice of 70%, 80% or 90%
- Benefit limit: No annual benefit limits, get reimbursed as much as necessary
While nearly all pet insurance companies offer coverage for both accidents and illnesses, that doesn’t mean each covers the same thing under that umbrella. Here are some items that are and are not covered by ManyPets.
|What’s Covered||What’s Not Covered|
|Hospitalizations||Non-FDA approved medications|
|Cancer treatment||Prescription diet|
|And more||Behavioral medication or therapy|
A waiting period is the time in which the issuer requires you to wait after enrolling in a plan before your coverage actually begins. All pet insurance companies require you to go through a waiting period, after all, they don’t want you to sign up for a plan only after an injury or illness has already occurred.
Unfortunately, ManyPets does not disclose how long its waiting period is on its website. On average in the industry, you’ll typically have to wait 14 days for accidents and illnesses.
ManyPets wellness plan
Optional preventative care coverage
- The wellness plan is only available as an add-on to an insurance policy
- Covered items include routine exams, vaccinations, preventative medication, dental cleanings, and holistic care
A ManyPets wellness plan will reimburse you $150 per year for each of the following categories:
- Routine exams & vaccinations
- Preventative medications & heartworm tests
- Dental cleanings
- Holistic care
Unlike pet insurance, there is not deductible that needs to be met before reimbursement begins. The only thing you’ll need to remember is that once $150 has been reimbursed for a specific category, you’ll be responsible for 100% of the remaining costs.
Pros & cons of ManyPets
- Customize your policy to get the coverage you need, at a cost you can afford
- No annual benefit limits
- Affordable premiums
- An optional wellness plan for routine care
- Curable pre-existing conditions may be covered if certain requirements are met
- You can cancel your policy any time, free of charge if necessary
- Visit any licensed veterinarian in the United States
- Currently only available in Illinois
- Information on its website is limited
- Hip dysplasia is not covered for pets enrolled at the age of six or older
Pet insurance through ManyPets has one major limitation for most pet parents, it’s only available in Illinois. While this alone will restrict most from being able to apply for a policy, the goods news is the company will be rolling out into other states throughout the year.
Pets eligible for coverage include dogs and cats, with no breed or age restrictions. There is no veterinary exam required to enroll with ManyPets. However, when you file your first claim, you’ll be asked to submit your pet’s medical records from the prior eighteen months.
How the application process works
Rather than explain how the application works, we decided to go through the process ourselves and share a video from start to end. If you’d like to get a free, personalized quote for your pet, click here.
Video recorded on April 26, 2021.
How ManyPets compares to other companies
ManyPets offers a solid pet insurance product that’ll become more popular once it’s available in more states. Here’s how we view pet insurance from ManyPets vs. the rest of the industry.
Note: For the “How it Compares” column, we determined whether the category discussed was above average, average, or below average compares to other companies. For the “Alternative” column, we selected a company that offers a product equal or better for that category.
|Product Category||How it Compares||Alternative|
|Wellness plan||Above average||Pumpkin|
As always, it’s important to compare your options when considering a financial product. Since pet insurance companies allow you to get a free quote, we recommend getting a quote from multiple insurers before settling with one company. This can ensure that you get the most coverage, at the best price.
For a direct comparison of companies, you can check out our picks for the best pet insurance.